IRVINE HIGH SCHOOL
2022 Girls Tennis Information
Tryouts for the 2022 team
DATES: August 8th-12th (M-F)
(Practice and Tryouts are at the same time. New Players should plan on attending all 5 days.)
Thank you for your interest in the 2022 Irvine High School Girls Tennis team. The tennis season promises to be a very competitive and exciting one. The following information will help guide you towards making sure you are prepared for the upcoming tryouts and season.
Tennis Boot Camp – June 7th – June 16th (T-Th)
This 2-week camp focuses on basics. It is design for players who are new to tennis or have limited experience, and for the more advanced player wanting improve form and proper technique.
Tennis Team Camp - June 21 – June 30 & July 17 – July 28 (4 Wks) T-Th 2:15 – 4:15PM
For all level players wanting to focus on learning and improving skills and techniques. Stretching, conditioning, skill development and tennis knowledge will be part of each day of camp. Players will play singles and doubles in various competitive formats. The camps are an excellent way to become comfortable with other players on the team and Coach Russell. Returning players should plan on attending a minimum of 4 days of camp. Players who want to learn and improve their tennis skills, but do not plan on trying out for the team, are also welcome.
Before Summer Camp, Tryouts and Season
All athletes must be cleared on OnlineClearance.com to be eligible to participate in camp and/or the team.
- Go to irvinehigh.org and click on Athletics find the to view the instructions for creating an Athletic Clearance account.
- In addition to completing the online information, you will need to upload a copy of the Pre-Participation Form, insurance card and signed confirmation letter.
- Complete the Download the Pre-Participation Exam Form (physical). Complete form at your Health Care Provider, then add form to your online clearance account. Physicals are good for 12 months.
Tryouts are scheduled to begin on Monday, August 8th through Friday, August 12th.
Tryouts are concurrent with the start of practice. At the end of the tryout week, all new players will have their schedule changed after successfully making the team. I anticipate a very competitive tryout this year. Skill is not necessarily the most important factor in determining the results of the tryouts. The players that make the team will be decided by several factors including skill, experience, potential, attitude and work ethic. The total team size (varsity and jv) is usually between 26-30 players. Varsity and jv squads will not be determined until after tryouts. Returning players are not guaranteed their spots.
Team practice starts on Monday, August 8th, and runs through the end of the 1st quarter (end of October).
All players, except seniors and winter sports athletes, must be signed up for the 2nd quarter off-season tennis. Matches begin at the end of August.
- An average practice runs from 2:20 pm until 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
- Match play can begin as early as August 22nd. We will tentatively have our 1st match that week.
- Matches start at 3:15 pm and end at approximately 5:30-6:00pm.
- Matches are played mainly on Tuesday and Thursday. Pre-season matches can vary.
- There are between 18 and 22 matches per season, plus PCL league finals and CIF playoffs (provided we finish in the top three in the PCL league).
Requested Team Contributions
Team contribution is approximately $150 (depends on player uniform options)
If you or your parents have any questions, please feel free to contact me (email is best).
Irvine High School
Director of Tennis