IRVINE HIGH SCHOOL
2023-24 Boys Tennis Information
Thank you for your interest in the 2023-24 Irvine High School Boys Tennis team. The tennis season promises to be a very competitive and exciting one. The following information will help guide you towards making sure you are prepared for the upcoming tryouts and season.
Tennis Boot Camp: June 6th – June 15th (M-Th) 1:00 – 3:00PM
This 2-week camp focuses on basics. It is design for players who are new to tennis or have limited experience, and for the more advanced player wanting improve form and proper technique.
Tennis Team Camp: June 19 – June 30 & July 17 – July 27 (4 Wks) M-Th 1:00 – 3:00PM (No camp 7/3 – 7/14 – IHS Athletic Dead Period)
For all level players wanting to focus on learning and improving skills and techniques. Stretching, conditioning, skill development and tennis knowledge will be part of each day of camp. Players will play singles and doubles in various competitive formats. The camps are an excellent way to become comfortable with other players on the team and Coach Russell. Returning players should plan on attending a minimum of 4 days of camp. Players who want to learn and improve their tennis skills, but do not plan on trying out for the team, are also welcome.
Before Summer Camp, Tryouts and Season
All athletes must be cleared on OnlineClearance.com to be eligible to participate in camp and/or the team.
- Go to irvinehigh.org and click on Athletics find the to view the instructions for creating an Athletic Clearance account.
- In addition to completing the online information, you will need to upload a copy of the Pre-Participation Form (physical), insurance card and signed consent form.
- Pre-Participation Exam Form (physical). Complete form at your Health Care Provider including parent signature, and doctor signature with office stamp, then add form to your online clearance account. Physicals are good for 12 months.
Tryouts are scheduled for December 5th through 8th, 2023.
Tryouts are for all players not currently on the team. All necessary cuts will be made after Friday, December 8th. New players will have their schedule changed after successfully making the team. I anticipate a very competitive tryout this year. Skill is not necessarily the most important factor in determining the results of the tryouts. The players that make the team will be decided by several factors including skill, experience, potential, attitude and work ethic. The total team size (varsity and jv) is usually between 28-32 players. Varsity and jv squads will not be determined until after tryouts. Returning players are not guaranteed their spots.
There is an available off-season tennis class available during the 2nd quarter of the fall semester.
The off-season class is optional, but available for interested new players. You do not have to be on the team to sign-up for the class but it is designed for players wanting to make the team. Freshman must still be enrolled in Freshman PE if they are not playing a sport in the fall.
Team practice starts at the beginning of the spring semester in January and runs through the end of the spring semester. Matches begin in mid-late February
- An average practice runs from 2:20 pm until 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
- Matches start at 3:15 pm and end at approximately 5:30-6:00pm.
- Matches are played mainly on Tuesday and Thursday. Non-league matches can vary.
- There are between 18 and 22 matches per season, plus PCL league finals and CIF playoffs
Requested Team Contributions
Team donation is approximately $175 (uniforms, misc.)
If you or your parents have any questions, please feel free to contact me (email is best).
Irvine High School
Director of Tennis