Tennis Boot Camp – June 8th – June 18th (M-Th) (See Flyer)
This 2-week camp focuses on basics. It is design for players who are new to tennis or have limited experience, and for the more advanced player wanting improve form and proper technique.
Tennis Team Camp
Session I: June 22nd through July 2nd (M-Th) (See Flyer)
Session II: July 20th through July 30th (M-Th) (See Flyer)
For all level players wanting to focus on learning and improving skills and techniques. Stretching, conditioning, skill development and tennis knowledge will be part of each day of camp. Players will play singles and doubles in various competitive formats. The camps are an excellent way to become comfortable with other players on the team and Coach Russell. Returning players should plan on attending a minimum of 4 days of camp. Players who want to learn and improve their tennis skills, but do not plan on trying out for the team, are also welcome.
Before Summer Camp, Tryouts and Season
- Register and Complete online clearance forms. Go to irvinehigh.org and click on Athletics find the to view the instructions for creating an account.
- Download the Pre-Participation Exam Form (physical). Complete form at your Health Care Provider, then add form to your online clearance account and submit a copy to IHS. Physicals are good for 12 months.
Tryouts are tentatively scheduled for December 7th through 10thth, 2020.
Tryouts are for all players not currently on the team. All necessary cuts will be made after Thursday, December 10th. New players will have their schedule changed after successfully making the team. I anticipate a very competitive tryout this year. Skill is not necessarily the most important factor in determining the results of the tryouts. The players that make the team will be decided by several factors including skill, experience, potential, attitude and work ethic. The total team size (varsity and jv) is usually between 26-30 players. Varsity and jv squads will not be determined until after tryouts. Returning players are not guaranteed their spots.
There is an available off-season tennis class available during the 2nd quarter of the fall semester.
The off-season class is optional, but available for interested new players. You do not have to be on the team to sign-up for the class but it is designed for players wanting to make the team. Freshman must still be enrolled in Freshman PE if they are not playing a sport in the fall and have an open 4th period.
Team practice starts on Wednesday, January 20th, 2020 and runs through the end of the spring semester. Matches begin in mid-late February
- An average practice runs from 2:00 pm until 5:00 pm Monday through Friday.
- Matches start at 3:00 pm and end at approximately 5:30-6:00pm.
- Matches are played mainly on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Pre-league matches can vary.
- There are between 18 and 22 matches per season, plus PCL league finals and CIF playoffs
Requested Team Contributions
- Team donation is approximately $150 (uniforms, misc.)
If you or your parents have any questions, please feel free to contact me (email is best).
Irvine High School
Director of Tennis